Students will receive a comprehensive training programme that will develop the qualities and skills required to become a successful chef. We take a modern approach to chef development working to build the full range of skills and qualities required by today's chefs.
Our 'Total Chef' training delivers a modern approach to chef development and is unique to the Ashburton Chefs Academy focusing on three areas of development which we call Hands, Head, Heart.
A chef is nothing without a mastery of the practical skills to create great food. We will teach you all of the fundamental cookery skills required to enter a professional kitchen with confidence, ready to deal with any challenge.
Around 70 days of your course content will be dedicated to developing your core cooking skills and a complete understanding of the essential cookery concepts and skills.
This will include theory sessions and chef demonstrations, but predominantly you will be working in the kitchen.
Real World Experience - Towards the end of your course, you will also experience the pressure and excitement of cooking for paying customers as you prepare and deliver a 5-course tasting menu to guests at the Ashburton Dining Club.
Skills you will learn
- Knife Skills
- Professional Kitchen Skills
- Hors d'oeuvres, cocktails & canapes
- Meat, Poultry & Game
- Fish & Shellfish
- Yeast Products, Bakery & Pastry
- Pastries, Desserts & Confectionery
- Farinaceous Dishes
- Terrine Dishes
- Stocks, Sauces & Dressings
- Vegetables & Salads
- Presentation Skills
- Wine & Food Matching
- Menu Planning
- Sous Vide
- and more
HeadA successful chef is a thinking chef, and we will expose you to concepts and ideas from the outset that will build your confidence as a chef. We will explore valuable areas such as:
- Food Hygiene
- You will take the industry standard 3 day HABC qualification for head chefs to ensure you are fully trained in this essential area of catering.
- Kitchen Management
- It's one thing to cook a dish, but managing a professional kitchen requires specific organisational skills. Costings. Profit Margins. We will prepare you for that role.
- Managing the supply chain
- To find the best flavours, you need to source great ingredients. We will show you how to develop a portfolio of food producers and nurture these relationships to give you the best results.
- Menu Planning
- You will learn to develop menus taking into consideration event themes, styles of service, seasonality, budgets, and special diets.
- You will learn to appreciate and identify wine with the WSET Foundation in Wine course.
- Food Allergies & Nutrition
- A customer with a food intolerance or dietary requirement is just as important as any other. We teach you what you need to know to be prepared for and accommodate a range of dietary requirements.
Great cooking comes from the heart! Students that are accepted on the Diploma in Culinary Arts are committed, ambitious and are passionate about food and cooking. We will focus your passion to enrich and inspire your cooking.
- Inspiring Guest Lectures
- You will meet some of the most inspirational chefs in the region who have earned a reputation for excellence in their chosen area, along with artisans such as master butchers and fishmongers to give you great depth to your knowledge.
- Field Trips & Visits
- You will meet some of the food producers behind the ingredients you will be working with and we will help foster an interest and understanding of the importance of the path from land and sea to plate.
- Ethics & Issues
- And we will explore some of the ethical choices to be made in catering today and some of the wider environmental issues that affect us all.